Sunday, January 27, 2013

7up Biscuits!

I don't know about you, but biscuits from scratch have always intimidated me!  I've never really experimented or even dared to mess around with dough- a feat that now is no longer an issue!  Tonight, with an easy 4 ingredient biscuit recipe, I have successfully made biscuits from scratch!


There's the screenshot of the pin from my food board.  Maybe you've seen it yourself; the description reads that 2 batches were gone in 3.5 seconds?  It definitely had me wondering how good they were!  I visited the originating site of the recipe, scrolled through the comments and was sold on how easy it sounded.

As found on Monster Mama's blog:
2 c Bisquick mix
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 c 7up
1/4 c melted butter
Preheat oven to 450º

Cut sour cream into your Bisquick mix, then add 7up - it will make a soft dough. Now sprinkle your counter with a little Bisquick mix then add dough and pat it out.  Melt butter and pour it into a 9" square baking pan. Cut your biscuits up and arrange them in pan on top of melted butter.
Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.



I'm partial to Sprite, and grabbed that instead of the 7up- don't think it makes any difference between the two.  I read that a lot of readers wanted to try Sierra Mist to cut out HFCS (I will never understand people cutting this out since many of us never heard about it being a problem growing up, but I digress), and that substitution shouldn't be a problem either.
3 ingredients ready to be mixed
For melting the butter, I put it in my baking dish and placed it in the oven as it was warming it.  Better than constantly playing the microwave game, right?

Now, for patting the dough out, it will be super sticky!  My dear husband came to my rescue when he saw me struggling with it. :)  He did end up adding at least another handful of bisquick mix to the dough for it to be manageable enough to cut into pieces to place in the pan.


Ready to be formed and cut!
And here is our finished product out of the oven!  Sorry I forgot to take a picture of a piece out of the pan and the inside of a biscuit.  :(

"Sprite" biscuits!

These biscuits came out very light and fluffy!  My kids did enjoy them, didn't think they were "hard" as some ready to be baked biscuits from the refrigerator section can be.  A recommendation for those of you trying it out- brush some melted butter on the top before placing in the oven.  :) A recipe I will be definitely be adding to my book! 








No comments:

Post a Comment