Saturday, August 3, 2013

Pan-fried Honey Bananas

Need to satisfy a sweet tooth but don't want the calories or don't have much on hand?  This pin is the pin you need... well, as long as you have bananas on hand. 

I personally am not a banana fan outside of banana bread, but I'm always looking for different ways to serve up bananas for the family.  We always have a bunch on hand in the house and there are times when I make a lot of banana bread because everyone is "banana'd out." 


This recipe is from a blog found on The Crohn's Journey Foundation website.  If you suffer from crohn's disease and haven't checked out this site, what are you waiting for?  No one in my family has Crohn's, but I spent a few hours just exploring this site! 

Recipe and directions as found on the site:

INGREDIENTS
Coconut Oil Cook­ing Spray
1/4 tea­spoon Cin­na­mon
1 organic banana
1 table­spoon organic honey

INSTRUCTIONS
Cut the banana into 1/8in width.
Mix together honey and 1/2 table­spoon water in a bowl and set aside.
Place a fry­ing pan on the stove top under medium heat and spray gen­er­ously with the coconut oil spray.
Add the banana’s and once browned (about 1–2 min­utes) flip over.
Once you flip the pieces of banana over, turn off the stove and add the honey/water mix­ture all over the top and watch it bubble Sprin­kle the cin­na­mon on top and enjoy. (if you like less or more cin­na­mon, it is up to you and your taste buds)


Seems simple enough, right?  4 ingredients and takes about 5 minutes to make (you can see in the instructions you need to add water to the honey).   The pictures on the blog are very clear to make it even easier to follow as well.

Note to self: MORE cooking spray next time!

I didn't use enough cooking spray (I used regular vegetable oil spray that we have on hand), but the bananas still fried up nicely.  I didn't flip over until maybe about 4-5 minutes to really get the brown you see in the picture on the Cron's website.  I checked around 3 minutes but it was more on the golden brown side.  Might need to put the heat up more for next time.   The family likes cinnamon so you can see that I didn't exactly measure it out.  :)  I just sprinkled straight from the container.   Sigh, yes, I realize now I should've used a different color bowl for a recipe like this to really show the food.


The verdict: a great, guilt-free dessert!  Our oldest requests that next time there's more honey, but other than that, it was a hit!  I'll definitely remember this recipe when my kids have a sweet tooth and I want to use up some bananas!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment