Tuesday, February 5, 2013

"Easiest Most Amazing Roast Ever"

Happy February everyone!  I don't know about you, but January flew by for me!  I apologize for not trying out any Super Bowl recipe pins to show what would be a success or a failure, but we had a lot of partying we did this past weekend-most of it the day before the big football event!


Today's post is another crock pot recipe, but this time for roast!  The picture isn't what got me to pin this particular recipe like most pins.  This time, it was the picture of the ingredients!  Seriously, a roast that uses only 4 ingredients and cooked in the crock pot?  SOLD!  So simple a busy parent could prep it while carrying a toddler on their hip (that's how I prepped the one for this post-although of course I put him down to take pictures!).

I was skeptical of the ease of this recipe and the taste as well after looking at the packets that were needed.  Ranch and Italian dressing seasoning mixed together?!  I'm not a daring "mixer" when it comes to trying concoctions like that at restaurants and what not (I could never really bring myself to mix sodas at the soda fountain like my brother did when we were younger), and trying to imagine what ranch and italian dressing mixed together would taste like didn't sound too appealing to me.  I knew I had to try it after visiting the Food website and reading the comments though!  Almost a full 5 star rating!


The recipe is as follows:
1 (4 -5 lb) beef roast, any kind
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package brown gravy mix, dry
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dried Italian salad dressing mix
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package ranch dressing mix, dry
1/2 cup water


Place beef roast in crock pot. Mix the dried mixes together in a bowl and sprinkle over the roast.  Pour the water around the roast.  Cook on low for 7-9 hours.

With a sale on smaller roasts at the commissary, my husband picked up 2 roasts for me to use for this trial; almost 4.5lbs worth of meat!  The top one is 1.44lbs and the bottom one is 2.98lbs.  My husband always says that when you cook roasts, brisket, or any big chunks of meat (meaning not cutting them into smaller pieces) that it's always best to not mess with them too much and leave the fat on.  All I did to prep the meat was rinse them off and place them right into the crock pot.


 I read through a handful of the reviews before I mixed the dry ingredients together.  A few of them mentioned that they found using the entire packets made it salty, so they only used half of the ranch or italian to cut that down.  I went with the entire brown gravy packet and half of the ranch dressng mix and half of the italian dressing mix.  I put them in 3/4 cup of water (to have more sauce), mixed it up, and just poured it all over the roasts in the crock pot-all while carrying my clingy toddler on my hip.  I set the crock pot on low for 7.5 hours and done.


While the roast was cooking, the house smelled absolutely amazing.  Definitely an aroma I wouldn't mind filling up my home every day!  When it finished, we ate it with salad and mashed potatoes on the side!  A hit with everyone in the house!!












The roast was so tender and juicy that no knife was needed to cut into it!

If you read through some of the reviews, there are people who say that they used the dry mix as a rub.  You can do this if you choose to, but it really isn't necessary. ;)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment